Peace and Patience

Today, I spoke to two men who are in very similar situations. Both are in jail, and they might not be out until January of 2011. However, there is the chance that each one of them might receive parole. One man is patiently waiting to hear about his parole, but he will be fine, if he has to serve out the full sentence in jail. The other man is very impatient. He is trying to do anything he can do to get parole, because he is very impatient to get out.

As I have dealt with them, it has caused me to consider the difference between them. I think I have come to see what it is. The reason for the patience is inner peace, and the reason for the impatience is the lack of inner peace. Once a person has the peace of God controlling his heart, he can endure a lot of pain and suffering with patience. However, when there is an absence of peace, there is much impatience.

This is true for everyone, not just those in jail. In fact, I would say that anyone without God's peace is in a jail, of sorts. They are in bondage to their fears and desires to the point that those things control them. The only release from that prison is to come to entrust ourselves to Jesus, so we allow Him to handle our fears and desires, and to give us peace. I pray that you know that peace tonight. If not, cry out to the one who can set you free.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Lamentations 1-2 and Hebrews 10:1-18.

Popular Posts