The Gift of Encouragement

I have not had to deal with a lack of encouragement in my life. I was raised by loving parents, who were always telling me that I could do whatever I set my mind to do. I had teachers that were always praising me when I did well. I had friends who built me up. I have lived in an atmosphere of encouragement all of my life. It has been a great help to me.

However, I realize that many people do not have that same experience. For example, I was speaking to someone recently who told me that they were asked to name 3 people in their past who were encouraging to them, and they could only really name one person. Sure, others had given temporary compliments, but over-all they were not encouragers. The effect was that this person felt like a failure, and he felt like he could never accomplish anything. Now, we know that is from Satan, but it is real, and many people have to deal with this sad situation. It breaks their spirit. They decide to give up on life and on people.

This is another reason why people need to know Jesus. The main thing is salvation from sins and a home in Heaven, but the wonderful result in this life is that we have a constant encourager with us 24/7. Jesus is the Ultimate Encourager. When He tells us we can do it with His power, He is right. When He shows us that nothing is impossible with Him, we can rely on that truth. He lifts us up, and He sustains us in His encouragement, if we will stay close to Him and listen. What a change He makes in our lives when He comes in. The Deceiver and Murderer, Satan, is kicked out, and the Lord of the Universe comes in with all of His power.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 50 and Hebrews 8.

Popular Posts