Christianity - Christ = Religion

I finally finished one of Alan Hirsch's books, The Forgotten Ways. Now, I am slowly making my way through, ReJesus. It is a very thought provoking book. I believe it is a Biblical book. Some of the things he says are a bit on the edge for me, but I see where he is coming from. I believe he really wants to see the world come to Christ as Lord and Savior, and he wants us to be true disciples of Jesus. That is a great combination, in my book.

He has an equation that is very good: Christianity - Christ = Religion. Now, I am sure most of us would agree with his equation when it is applied to false religions. However, his meaning is for the church today. The truth is that if we do not have a daily relationship with Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we are simply practicing a religion by going to church and doing what we do. I think he is right on. That is why we have so little enthusiasm and fire in the church. Worship - Jesus = Cold Ritual. That is why we have so little witnessing and service going on in many churches. Ministry - Jesus = Obligation. The one thing that makes Christianity different is that we have a personal relationship with the Living God, and everything we do is to flow from that relationship. Most of the things we do at church and as a church began that way, but if we leave out the relationship with Jesus, it changes into merely a religion.

So are you practicing a daily relationship with Jesus or a religion? That is a vital question for each of us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 34-36 and Hebrews 2.

Popular Posts