Putting Away Anger

Many people have a big problem with anger. Their lives are consumed by anger, and they try to control other people with their anger. It is a terrible way to live. I feel sorry for anyone who has an anger problem.

It seems like, if they would just stop and think about it, they would realize the damage done by their anger, and they would want to stop. However, I guess some folks just don't know they could ever be free from anger. Therefore, the first step is to know that getting rid of anger is possible.

I imagine when I say that, some of you want to disagree with me. You would say that it is impossible to get rid of anger. Some of you might even want to use Scripture to support your case, like taking me to the passage where Jesus cleansed the Temple. The truth is that it never says He was angry in that passage. He had a zeal to see the Temple used in the right way, but He was not angry with people. If He was angry at all, He was angry at sin. It is OK to hate sin and to be angry at what it does to people. It is when we are angry at people that we have to be very careful and not justify ourselves. Ephesians 4:31 tells us very clearly that we are to put away all "bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and slander." If God commands us to do that, it is possible, and He will give us the power to do it. In the event that we do get angry, we should put it away quickly and not let the sun go down on our anger. (Ephesians 4:26)

I pray that we can all learn this valuable lesson. I know it will be a great blessing once we do.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 37-39 and Acts 26.

Popular Posts