God Doesn't Make Deals

One day in about 1981 or 1982 I drove down by the Brazos river to visit some folks. There was one house so far in the sticks that I had to ford a creek to get there. I knew the man who lived there a little bit, because I had gone by to see him once before. As I drove into the yard, he was sitting on the small front porch. He recognized the preacher's car when I parked and walked up to him. Suddenly, he announced, "God don't make no deals." I was startled at his statement, but I agreed with his conclusion completely. I proceeded to tell him that he had come to understand a great truth. We must put our faith in Jesus and love Him as Lord of all or God will not adopt us into His family. There is no other way.

Some people want to bargain with God. They tell Him that if He will bless them, they will put their trust in Him. They ask Him to do a miracle, and then, they will love Him with all their hearts. None of that works with God. There is no, if you will do this, then, I will do that, with God. He is Lord. His will is absolute. We do it His way or no way. That is why the statement this man shared with me so many years ago was so profound. He did not know the Jesus as His Lord and Savior, but he had learned enough to know the terms of coming to know Christ.

I meet people all the time who want to make a deal with God. I tell them what I told that man, and most of them go away sad, because they want their own selfish way. That breaks my heart, because I know what they could have, if they would just give up and declare Him the Unquestioned King of their lives. It is better than any deal they could ever make with Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 31-32 and Acts 23:16-35.

Popular Posts