Picking Blueberries

This morning I took some time to go and pick some blueberries. I had been wanting to find the time for a week or two, so I just decided to go on the 4th of July. It was pretty cool and sunny, a nice day for picking berries.

As I went from bush to bush, the Lord showed my some spiritual lessons related to what I noticed. I want to share a few with you, but I am sure you can think of more yourselves.

There were a few other people there in the blueberry patch. Some were hard at work harvesting the fruit. Others were looking and talking. I heard on person say that the berries were "small." He did not seem to be pleased, so he was not picking very many. The Lord said to me that all of the fruit is important, not just the big nice ones. I was so glad the Lord saved me, even though I was not very important compared to Billy Graham. Others were just walking by the bushes, because they did not notice the fruit. To see the berries you had to look closely. It was not apparent at first. I think that is why we miss a lot of people who are ripe to come to know Christ. We do not look close enough to see the ones who are ready to come to Christ.

Then, as I picked I was surprised to find fruit on bushes that had been overlooked by others. It should have been picked easily, but they passed it by. Sometimes, we miss the children and youth who are right under our noses. The same is true of neighbors and co-workers.

Finally, I saw that the best fruit was not easy to reach. It was up high or down low. Most people had missed it, because it took more effort to harvest it. I am afraid that is a problem in our churches. We want easy fruit, but it takes time and effort to bear fruit for the Lord. It takes time to harvest souls for Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 30-31 and Acts 13:26-52.

Popular Posts