Getting Noticed by Jesus

What does it take to get noticed by Jesus for something we do? I am sure there are a lot of things that cause Him to take note. Yes, I am aware that He sees everything we do. However, I am also quite sure that He is bored to death or even angry at a lot of what He sees. Therefore, I ask the question about what causes Him to notice what we are doing from a positive angle.

This morning I read Mark 12, and I came to the story of the widow giving her two coins to the Temple treasury. It is a very interesting story, because Jesus stopped what He was doing to watch her out of all of the folks who came to the Temple. He told His disciples what He saw. He saw her giving more than anyone else. This was astounding since there were many rich people giving large sums of money and making sure that all of the people noticed them. This lady gave two coins which were together worth a penny, but she gave more. Jesus explained that all of the rest gave out of their "surplus." She gave out of her poverty all that she owned and had to live on. They gave a fraction of their income and their worth. She gave 100% of her worth.

What does this teach us? God looks at proportional giving not the total amount given. He places a premium on giving when we have to trust Him to provide for us, because we give of what we have to live on. No matter how much we give of our surplus it takes no faith. From my experience most Christians today do not give in a way that pleases God and causes Him to take notice of their giving. Many times I have heard people say that they can't tithe (give 10% of their income) because they would not have enough to live on. I have noticed that when things are good people give out of surplus, but when things are bad, they keep the money that should go to the Lord. What do you think Jesus notices about that kind of giving.

Now, as I have said before, I do not know what anyone gives except myself. I am making observations from conversations and financial reports over the years. However, I believe that lady who gave the two coins was blessed by God for her faith and sacrifice. I want to be in that crowd. I do not want to give to receive a blessing. I want to give in such a way that God gets the glory for taking care of me. What about you?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Deuteronomy 17-19 and Mark 13:1-20.

Popular Posts