Some Interesting Observations About Life

As I was reading in Genesis 4-6 this morning a few things jumped out at me. It was not like I had not seen them before, but they hit me very directly this time. I hope they will be helpful for all of us to consider.

Cain and Abel were the first two sons of Adam and Eve. They were very different. Anyone who has had more than one child can attest to the fact that each of our children are so different and unique. It makes parenting a real challenge. It also causes conflict between the siblings. In this case it led to the murder of Abel by his brother, Cain. Now, I know that was not the entire reason Cain killed his brother, but I believe it led up to it, at least. I can hear Cain saying, "Why does God think my brother and his offering are better than me and my offering? Just because he likes sheep, and God likes sheep, he likes him, and He doesn't like me." What a tragedy! Even if God had told them that the offering had to include an animal sacrifice, I think that this rivalry had a part to play in the anger and the murder. I wish human nature was not like that, but it is. It is hard to teach our children to really love each other, because of a built in jealousy.

Then, I realized that Lamech was the first man to have two wives.(Genesis 4:19) How did he come to the conclusion that was right? God never said it was right. Adam never took more than one wife. However, Lamech wanted two, so he took two wives. Then, what happened? Other men decided to do the same thing, because Lamech did it. Soon, I am sure it turned into "everyone is doing it." That did not make it right, though. On top of that what kind of man was Lamech? He killed a young man for hurting him. Is that the kind of person they should have been copying? I don't think so, but that is how it is so often. People copy the bad examples, instead of the good examples.

Enoch was a good example. He walked with God. In fact, I realized this morning that his entry in the genealogy of Genesis 5 is different from all of the rest. The rest say that so and so "lived" so many years and begot sons and daughters. Enoch's says that Enoch "walked with God" three hundred years and begot sons and daughters. (Genesis 5:22) I knew the Bible said that he walked with God, and God took him, but I had forgotten that it said he walked with God for 300 years. What an amazingly consistent life! He is a great inspiration for those who have a hard time walking with God for a week. It can be done.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 7-9 and Matthew 3.

Popular Posts