Dedication and Courage

This morning as I was praying for all of the Southern Baptist missionaries who have birthdays on January 3, I realized that one the missionaries I have known about the longest has her birthday today. Her name is Rebekah Naylor, and she has been a surgeon in India for almost 35 years. Her father was the president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary when I started my classes in 1976. I remember Dr. Naylor speaking of his daughter, and I believe she spoke on campus while I was there. I have always thought of her as a wonderful example of Christian dedication. She was a single woman who gave her life in a very foreign place, so that people could come to know Christ, churches could be started, and people could be healed. I am sure I can't imagine the obstacles she overcame to follow God's plan for her life. She is still serving the Lord even now that she is on stateside assignment in Dallas, Texas.

This day is very significant to me, because it is my little sister's birthday. She is with the Lord now, but she was always an example of courage to me. She overcame many obstacles just to live a normal life, because of numerous physical problems she had from birth. She did not complain. She enjoyed life, and she did the best she could. That takes a lot of courage. I hope I can live each day with that same kind of courage, as I serve the Lord.

As we look around us, there are many examples of dedication and courage. I pray that each of us will strive to show others what it means to be dedicated to Jesus and live with a love for Him that casts out all fear. That would be a great testimony to give those with whom we come in contact each day, wouldn't it?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 10-12 and Matthew 4.

Popular Posts