Innocent Before the Lord

I have read the story of Daniel in the lions den many times in my life, and I have heard the story told by others many times, too. That is why I was surprised this morning to find something I had never noticed in the story. It is something very important. You probably know it, but somehow I missed it all these years. I had missed the specific reason Daniel was not harmed by the lions.

What do you think it was? I guess I thought it was because of his faith in God, but that was not the reason. Daniel did have faith in God, and it was very strong faith at that. However, the reason that Daniel was spared by a miracle of God was something more specific than just his faith. Did you know that it was the fact that he was innocent before God, and he had done no wrong before the king? I did not know that, but it is significant to me today. I am not sure I know all of what it means, but I think I know most of it. God saw that Daniel's heart was right in his motivation, and He saw that his actions were right in his prayer-life. God also noted that Daniel had not done anything wrong before the king. He had broken a rule, but it was one that was only created to harm him. Therefore, God spared Daniel's life.

I pray that I can be innocent before God and others in that way. I think most of the time my motivation for what I do is right, but sometimes, I falter in that aspect. I pray that my actions are right before God, but I know I fail to honor Him in that way sometimes, too. I really want to be innocent before Him and others. However, in those times when I sin, I am so thankful for God's gracious forgiveness. He is faithful to restore me, so the next time I can strive to be innocent like Daniel.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Daniel 8-10 and III John.

Popular Posts