Saying No to Others

There are many times I need to say no to things that are obviously wrong. I have come to the place in my life where that is relatively easy. I have learned the destructive power of sin in my life, and I don't want to grieve the Lord. Then, there are times when I need to say no to things that are not obviously wrong, but they seem to be wrong. I just have a check in my spirit that tells me to say no. Sometimes, I follow through as I should, and sometimes I fail. I am asking the Lord to help me with those situations.

One of the most difficult situations for me is when someone asks me for help. I have a very hard time saying no, even if I am sure I need to do something else. It is not so much that I am trying to please people. I settled that issue years ago. My aim each day is to please God, not people. My main problem is discerning if the opportunity to help another person is from the Lord or if it is a hindrance from Satan. I learned from Charles Swindoll many years ago that "good is the enemy of best." In other words, I can miss doing the best thing for me to do, if I am doing good things all of the time. I really don't want to do that now. I am sure some people think I am lying when I tell them I am too busy to help them at that time, but I just have to do God's will. I have learned from Psalms that David asked God to vindicate him, and that is what I have to do.

I want to help everyone, but that is impossible. The best course of action is to help those the Lord leads me to help. Then, He can multiply my efforts and keep Satan from putting obstacles in my way.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 18-19 and II Timothy 3.

Popular Posts