A Broken Heart

I am so proud of our men. This morning we were missing a lot of our regulars at the 5 AM study of the book of John, because of sickness and other very legitimate reasons. However, we still had 13 men with us to study the end of John 19. These men are a great blessing to me. I believe God is blessing them in a great way, because of their faithfulness to study His Word and to obey His Word.

Today, I shared with them the evidence that Jesus died of a broken heart. I know that is a term we use for being sad. I do not mean sadness as much as a burden on His heart. John tells us that they did not have to break His legs to cause Him to die on the Cross from not being able to push up on His legs to take a breath. They realized Jesus was already dead, so they stuck a spear in His side to fulfill the prophecy of Zechariah about looking on Him whom they pierced. The result of the stab wound was that water and blood flowed out. Most of the time a dead person will not bleed, because the heart is not pumping. In this instance Jesus' heart had ruptured from the physical suffering and the spiritual stress of having all of our sins put on Him. Therefore, the sac around the heart was filled with fluid and blood. The spear hit that sac, and gravity brought the water and blood out of His body. Jesus' heart broke from the pressure of dying on a Cross and bearing our sins. This mixture of water and blood also showed that Jesus was truly God in human flesh, too. He was the God-Man. That is why he could die in our place.

I hope all of us will marvel at the love of Jesus and the stress He took on for us. I pray we will thank Him for His heart that broke for us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 15-17 and II Timothy 2.

Popular Posts