Doing the Work of an Evangelist

One of the things that Paul told his son in the ministry, Timothy, was that he must do the work of an evangelist. (II Timothy 4:5) I don't get the idea from what the Bible says about Timothy that he had the gift of being an evangelist. He seemed to be rather shy, or at least, not very bold. However, Paul told him that regardless of his spiritual gifts, he was expected to do the work of an evangelist, even though he was a pastor. I have the feeling that Timothy felt that to be a great challenge.

I know that since my call to the ministry I have had a great desire to see people come to know the Lord. I have delivered many messages in which I have explained how to be saved. In fact, I try to give at least a brief explanation each time I preach. I have visited many people, and I have shared my testimony as well as the Gospel. However, I have always found it difficult to do the work of an evangelist as a pastor, because of all of the other areas of ministry I had to fulfill. I have always struggled with how to divide my time between praying, studying, administration, counseling, visiting the sick, ministering to church members, and witnessing. Most of the time I have felt trapped by my regular duties, so that I did not have the time to be an evangelist. I do not mean this as a cop out. I think Satan works hard to keep this from happening, not only in my life, but in the life of every believer. I don't think only preachers are to do the work of an evangelist. That is the essential task for all of us who know Christ. He expects us to spread the Good News of salvation to those around us.

I am constantly praying about how God wants me to be a missionary to my culture. That is why I spend time in different activities that allow me to get out of my office and into the culture. In fact, I am trying to do more and more of those things. I pray that we will all do the same thing, so we can see many people come to know Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 22-23 and Titus 1.

Popular Posts