Urgency or Apathy

Each morning I pray for God to use me to see people come to know Christ. That is the cry of my heart. It is why I am a pastor. Thirty Six years ago Jesus told me to be a preacher, so that people could have their sins forgiven and have eternal life. I have been trying to be faithful to His call ever since. However, I can't say that I have always lived with the sense of urgency that I should have had. Lord, please, forgive me.

Why is it that most believers do not have an urgency to reach unbelievers? Do we not really believe in Hell? Do we think that it is an individual matter and that we have no responsibility for sharing our faith? Are we selfish and apathetic? I am sure the reasons are varied, but the effect is the same. Millions of people will end up in Hell because of our apathy, and their blood will be on our hands.

What is the opposite of love? Many people would say that hate is the opposite of love. I do not believe that is true. I believe that apathy is the opposite of love. At least, when we hate someone else, we have some feelings toward them, and we think about them, even if it is negative. When we have apathy, we do not even think about them. Apathy is totally opposite to caring for someone else. We can't say that we love the world like Jesus if we don't have an urgency. We can't say that we fully love Jesus, if we don't have an urgency, because He commands us to love the world, as He does. Therefore, by being apathetic we are disobeying Him, which is not love. Apathy is a serious sin. Lord, please, deliver us from apathy for lost souls. Burn an urgency into our hearts.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Nehemiah 12-13 and Acts 4:23-37.

Popular Posts