A Father's Responsibility

This morning in our connection group we had a very good discussion about God being our Father. The concept of responsibility was interjected into the discussion when I asked what we could learn about God from His revelation to us that He is our Father. A Father should responsible for his child, and each father should feel a great burden of responsibility for his child. Unfortunately, some human fathers don't take that responsibility seriously. However, Our Heavenly Father takes it very seriously.

I can remember sitting in the living room of our house in the peanut field near Aquilla, Texas with my firstborn in my arms very late at night. I was overwhelmed by my love for her, as I was was for each of my other children. However, that was the first time I was overwhelmed with my responsibility for my child. I thought back to how my parents must have felt, but I never realized it until that moment. It was wonderful and scary at the same time. The good thing was that I knew God would give me the grace to provide for her and to protect her. He has never failed.

The great thing is to see how responsible God is for us. He blesses us with every conceivable blessing for our every day lives, but that is only the tip of the ice berg. He gave us His Only Begotten Son for our eternal blessing of everlasting life. We sinned, and there was no way we could save ourselves. He felt such a responsibility that He would give His life for us. What a Father! We should give Him all of the praise and thanks for loving us so perfectly. I pray that each of us as fathers will love each of our children in the same unselfish, responsible way.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Nehemiah 4-6 and Acts 2:22-47.

Popular Posts