A Power Outage

This morning we had a tornado warning, and the electricity went off shortly after 5 AM. It made for an unusual Mothers' Day, especially since the power was off at the church building for most of the morning, too.

I was having my "unhurried time" when the electricity went off. I stopped to get out the candles, and then, I resumed my regular routine as much as possible. Some of what I do doesn't take much like. I know the prayer list pretty well, so I can go through it without reading too much. When it came to reading God's Word, I had to have more light, so I picked up the little candle and held it below my Bible. It worked just fine. At that moment the Lord spoke to my heart about believers in Asia, Africa, and other poorer places in the world. The realization that they had to study this way all of the time, if they read while it was dark, overwhelmed me. The simplicity of it was beautiful, but the commitment was the key. The Word of God means so much that we as believers will do whatever it takes to drink from it deeply and often.

I finished my time with the Lord, and I went on with the rest of my Sunday morning things, after a short time in the basement with the family until the tornado warning passed. I went from place to place praying for God to restore the electricity. However, He told me that He did not need to do that. He had enough power to work even without man-made power. God never has a power outage. Sure enough, we had a great small group time and worship service with no electricity until right before my message. God's power was there, though, and two precious souls responded to the invitation to confess Christ before men and to follow Him in baptism. Praise God for His power in a power outage.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 15-16 and John 3:1-18.

Popular Posts