Iron Sharpens Iron

This morning in my unhurried time with the Lord Proverbs 27:17 was the text from the Experiencing God Day by Day devotional. It has always been a meaningful verse to me about the benefits of real Christian friendship, but today, it was especially meaningful for me.

Have you noticed how many times the Word of God you read in the morning is applicable to what happens to you during the day? That is one reason it is so important to read God's Word each day in a systematic way. God uses His Word to give us a word for another person, or to give us something we need to use ourselves. I pray that all of us will be sensitive to this way that God works in those who are sensitive to His Word and His leading.

Thursdays are my day to meet with Phil Covone. I have been doing my best to mentor Phil, since he is starting and pastoring his first church, and I have had a little experience with that over the past 30 years. We have been meeting for about two and a half years. Today, he had a very serious question for me about how to proceed in his ministry. I can't ever tell anyone else what God's will is for them, but I can give spiritual principles for them to consider in their decision. I did that for Phil this morning, and it seemed to be just what he needed to confirm God's direction. He was grateful, and I was glad to be of service to my brother. Now, we can watch to see what God does through all of this.

As a pastor, that is my ministry for many people. I can't live for them, but I can try to rightly interpret the Scripture so they can discern what God is saying to them. It is so gratifying when I see a brother or sister succeed in finding God's will and being used by Him to do a special work. Now, that is not just for pastors, though. It is the ministry of every Christian to sharpen those around us and to allow them to sharpen us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 24-25 and John 5:1-24.

Popular Posts