The Universal Church or the Local Church

For most of my life I have been involved in a local church. When I say that a lot of people do not know what I mean. A "local church" is a particular group of believers who meet together seeking to function as the body of Christ in their area of the world. That is my definition, not one from a scholar. Since I was 14 years old, I have been a part of the "universal church", which is comprised of all believers in this world. By far the majority of my life has been focused on the local church, instead of the universal church. I believe that is very Biblical. In fact, as I read the Bible, I find that 90% of the references to the church are to the local church. There is the church at Jerusalem, at Rome, at Corinth, at Ephesus, at Colossae, etc. Most of the instructions in the New testament could not be carried out by the universal church, because they have to do with a group meeting together, and the universal church never meets. Therefore, I would have to say that Jesus ordained the local church, and He cares for it very much.

I am afraid that more and more people are being disillusioned with the local church, so they are trying to say that it is not important. I can understand being hurt by people and situations. I can understand needing to heal from some of those things, but I can't understand giving up on the church. That is especially true of spiritually mature Christians. They are the ones who need to stay in the church and help to bring the church to maturity in Christ. Ephesians 4 says it very well. We are all to help each other grow to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. The emphasis is on "all" of the members, from the weakest to the strongest. Therefore, we all have a part in growing the church to maturity. The church grows as each member grows. It is a tough job, but it is worth it.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 1-3 and Luke 8:26-56.

Popular Posts