Taming the Tongue

I am not going to rehash my message on James 3:1-12 from last Sunday, but I do have some reflections. I believe the tongue is a huge indicator of our personal spiritual maturity, as the Lord tells us in James 3. I can look back over my life and remember many times that I would say the wrong thing or say the right thing in the wrong way when I was younger. My tongue and sometimes my pen got me into some terrible trouble. God convicted me of this, and I began to ask God to tame my tongue and to guide my tongue to say the right thing in the right way. Of course, there are many factors that come into play like frustration, anger, and humor that go along with this need to tame the tongue. We must allow God to mature us by the power of His Spirit, so that we use our tongues to build up people and to bless the Lord, as well as other people. This morning I took some time to think about this past work week. There have been many instances where I have been able to see how God has granted me the grace to tame my tongue and the wisdom to know how to help others who have the same need. It is such a blessing to me to see that progress. When I was an impulsive teenager, I did not ever think I would get to where I am today. By God's grace and power I have overcome that fleshly nature to some degree, and that is satisfying. However, it will always be a need in my life. I will always need to give my tongue and my mind to the Lord each day, and ask Him to take control by His Spirit. None of us will ever progress past that daily need for His power. I pray that each of us can look back and see this type of progress with our tongues, because that is a sure sign of spiritual maturity.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 29-30 and Matthew 9:1-17.

Popular Posts