Men and the Church Family

We started back on our Monday morning Men's study of the gospel of John this morning after being off for two weeks. We meet each Monday (except around holidays) at 5 AM, so even the men who work can attend. It is an in-depth study with plenty of discussion, so we have only reached chapter twelve after 16 months of study. This morning we had 15 men, if I counted correctly, which is pretty much our average. I know all of our men can't attend this study, but it does my heart good to have so many come out at such an early hour to meet and study God's Word regularly.

I mention this today, not to slight the women at all, but to say what a blessing and encouragement it is to me to be the pastor of a church with so many men who are hungry for the Lord and committed to doing His will on a daily basis. I know we have all been in churches where the women carried the load, and I appreciate godly women as much as anyone. However, I believe God calls men to be the spiritual leaders in their homes and in the church, so I believe it makes God smile to see the men of our church being so faithful.

David was the greatest king of Israel, but he did not accomplish God's will by himself. He had a large group of "mighty men" around him. I believe that is what we have at our church, and I believe that is God's will for every church. I pray that our group of mighty men will grow larger and stronger each day. At the same time each of us men would confess our absolute respect for our godly wives and the godly women of the church, too. It takes both to have a strong church. I know I could not do what I do without my wonderful wife, Chris. I know our church could not minister effectively without the faithful ladies we have who serve so unselfishly each week.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 20-22 and Matthew 6:19-34.

Popular Posts