Learning to be Content

 My family jokes with me all the time. Whenever they ask me how I am doing, I say, "I am fine." Their response is, "You always say you are fine." Then, I say, "That is because I am always fine." Now, I know that is hard for some to understand or even believe. However, it is true. I believe this is what Paul was saying in his personal testimony to the believers at Philippi. (Philippians 4:11) He assured them that he had learned to be content in whatever circumstances he was in. It was something he had to learn, but he had learned it, so he was always fine, no matter if he had plenty or not enough of whatever he might need. How can this be? He goes on to explain it for us. 

There is one main thing believers need to learn to be content all of the time. The thing that makes us content is not having an abundance. We can be content when we have humble means. We can be content when we are hungry or when we are full. We can be fine even when we are suffering a need. Yes, it is possible, because of one main truth. As Paul said that he had learned, he could do all things through Christ who strengthened him. (Philippians 4:13) Yes, the Almighty God is on our side, if we know Him as Lord and Savior. He is there for us to help us through any circumstances, no matter how difficult or wonderful they are. He knows what to do and how to do it to help us when we are hungry, provide for us, when we have a need, or to give us strength when we have to do without. In fact, this is true because He knows that sometimes we trust Him more when we have to do without for a while. However, if we rest in the fact that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, then, we really can be "fine" all the time.

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Colossians 1-3.

Popular Posts