Feeding the Flock of God

One of my main responsibilities as a pastor or shepherd of our church family is to feed the flock. Of course, I am to love them, to care for them physically, spiritually, and emotionally, and to protect them from being harmed by Satan's forces. However, if I do not feed them well, they get weak very quickly, and they lose their ability to live the Christian life as they should. That is why God was so angry with the shepherds of Israel in Ezekiel's day. They were feeding themselves, but they were not feeding the flock. (Ezekiel 34:2) I hope we all can see why this is so vital for every believer.

As a baby Christian, we are dependent on fellow believers to feed us the milk of the Word of God. Since we do not know His Word, we need help from others to explain it to us and to show us how to apply it to our life. Then, as we feed on the Bible and get stronger, we get to eat more and more meat from the Word. That is where we really grow in our ability to live like Jesus. Finally, when we become a mature believer, we can feed ourselves the Word of God, and we can help feed others. As pastor, I do my part to feed the flock in Bible study times and worship services. Also, I oversee the feeding of the flock by other people in various ministries of the church. If it doesn't get done, or if it is done badly, I am the one responsible. God gave me that function in the flock. That is why I want us to be eating the whole counsel of God from His Word, not just the parts we like. We need to have a steady diet of the pure Word of God to be healthy sheep, following the Lord faithfully each day.
#NHBaptisctdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 36-39.

Popular Posts