The Convicting Work of the Holy Spirit

I don't know anyone who has not felt guilty because of something they did that was wrong. It could have been a lie, or it could have been stealing something. In each case the Holy Spirit is there to show us our sin. That is what we call "conviction." The Spirit convicts us of what we are doing wrong and our need to seek forgiveness. John 16:8-11 makes it clear that this is the work of the Spirit in the world.

However, some people are convicted of sin more than others. Why is that the case? Is the Holy Spirit harder on some people than others, or does He love some more than others? I do not think that is the reason for the lack of conviction. I believe the Spirit is working to convict everyone, but it is the condition of the individual's heart that determines how much of the conviction is felt. If a person has a heart that is hardened from sinning again and again, the effect of the Spirit's work is less discernible. However, if the person has a soft heart that is seeking to obey the Lord, the conviction is very strong. Also, when people are praying for a particular individual, the Spirit may bring an intense season of conviction to lead the person to a point to decision. God honors our prayers in that way in several different areas of life.

It is a joy for me to be convicted of my sins. It gives me an opportunity to confess them and to be cleansed. I thank the Spirit for convicting me of my need for salvation, so I could turn my life over to Christ. Just because it is uncomfortable doesn't make it bad. We all should desire the conviction of the Spirit in our lives, so we can become more and more like Jesus.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 13-15.

Popular Posts