An Excellent Wife

An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels.(Proverbs 31:10 NASB) Many men have tried and failed, but I am so glad to say that God led me to my excellent wife on December 30, 1972. I would go further than Solomon went in Proverbs and say that she is worth much more than her weight in gold. In fact, Chris is priceless to me.

Those who have followed this web log have read our story before, and many of you have heard me or Chris tell it. However, I feel compelled to tell it again for the young people and for all of those who feel like giving up the search for an excellent spouse. Please, don't give up. God works miracles in this area of life, too.

About 2 weeks before Chris' birthday in 1972 I was turned down for a date with another young lady. It frustrated me, so I dropped to my knees and prayed a sincere prayer. I asked God to show me who to date without me having to ask her. I did not think about how difficult that was, but I was tired of trying to do it myself. Then, my best friend, Jimmy, had his keys taken away for rolling his high school teacher's car with toilet paper. He asked me to drive him and his girlfriend on a date, and I was happy to help him. When the time came for the date, I did not take them to the movies, as planned, but I took them to Chris' surprise birthday party. I was going to leave and come back to get them, since I did not know Chris at all, but they invited me in. I guess I crashed the party.

We had a nice time. We laughed a lot. Jimmy told them I was a Baptist preacher, since I had already been called to preach. He also told them that my previous girlfriend "used to be" a Catholic. Since 3 of the girls were Catholic, they asked what he meant. He explained that she had joined a Baptist church recently. Chris chimed in, "You could never get me to be a Baptist." I replied, "It would not be very hard to get you to be a Baptist." Her parents heard the whole exchange and saw that we were having a good time.

After the party ended, I was taking Jimmy and Melanie home, but it was not late. They wanted to go somewhere else. Melanie, Chris' best friend, asked me if she could ask Chris to go with me, so we could have a double date. I told her she could try, but I did not know why her parents would agree, not knowing me at all. Well, her mother said yes when Melanie called, and the rest is history. We both knew very soon that something special was happening. Chris accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior after a month or so, and we saw each other every day for 9 months until I left for Baylor.

I can't imagine being a pastor without Chris. She is such a godly wife. My friend at Baylor met her, and he hit the nail on the head. Fitz said, "She is a pretty girl, but the best thing is that she is pretty on the inside." What a compliment. What a true statement. I have been blessed to have her for these 38 years. We were married on August 18, 1974. Neither of us are perfect, but God made a perfect match when He brought us together, and He can and will do the same for you, if it is His will for you to be married.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Revelation 21-22.

Popular Posts