Irresponsibility

I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have parents who taught me to be responsible. I am sorry to say that I have failed at different times in my life. However, for the most part I understand the principle of being responsible, and I live responsibly.

Now, I want you to know that this is a very spiritual principle. God holds us responsible for our actions. He holds us accountable for our decisions. There will be a day when we stand before Him to give an account for all we have done in our lives. This makes me want to be even more responsible.

So what makes people act in an irresponsible way? I believe the key is living by feelings and not by truth. Most people do what they feel like doing, not what they know is right. I have been sharing this in my Sunday messages lately. It came up in a book I have been reading, and I believe it to be the source of many of our troubles. In fact, it is the root of Satan's lie to us. He tells us to doubt God's Word, the truth, and do what we want to do ourselves. This leads to disaster in almost every area of life.

There is the couple who get married without much prayer and against the advice of the people who care about them. Then, they end up getting a divorce. What happened? They did what they felt like doing. It was an irresponsible action. They did not take the consequences seriously, and they did not wait to make sure they were doing the right thing. There is the person who runs up thousands of dollars on a credit card, not for emergencies or other good reasons, but just because they did not want to wait for the purchases, or they would not sacrifice until they had the money. There are those who knowingly avoid doing what they know they should do, because they just don't feel like doing it, and they end up in deep trouble. All of these go back to irresponsibility in one form or another.

It hurts me to see people suffering because of their lack of responsibility, but there is little I can do, because it is up to them to do what God would want them to do. No one else can force them. It is a personal decision. I pray that we would all see how much better it is to take personal responsibility for our lives and our families.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Judges 17-19.

Popular Posts