The Practice of Prayer

For a long time I have been using a prayer notebook, so I can be diligent to pray for all of the folks I need to lift up to the Lord on a regular basis. I would highly recommend this to every believer. It is the only way to systematically pray for a large number of people. I believe that is God's will for us, because when I read Paul's letters in the New Testament, he told each church and even many of the individual people that he was praying for them regularly. I don't think Paul was lying. I think he had a list so he could remember. Also, he gives examples of his prayers, so I know he had specific things he prayed for them, not just a brief "God bless you" prayer. I have seen God answer my prayers in many ways over the years.

Since today is January 1, I started a new prayer notebook today. I went through it to mark down a page for each family member, and a page for each day of the week, Monday-Saturday, so I can pray for the family members every day and my extended family and other people at least one day a week. That way it is spread out over the week, and it does not take too much time each day. I also have a print out of every church member and others who are connected to our church. I pray for one fifth of them each weekday. I think this year I am going to print out a page with several of Paul's prayers, so I can pray the same things he prayed for people. It must be good, because it is part of God's perfect Word.

Once I get it all set up, I can use it all year and add to it as needed. I can pray for each person with whom I have the privilege to share Christ and those who visit our church, as well as the new believers who join our church. In that way God can work in their lives in a very powerful way. I also write down what God says to me when I read the Experiencing God Day by Day devotional reading each day, and I keep a spiritual journal in my prayer notebook, too.

The reason I share this is not to say that you need to do it the way I do. It is to get everyone to think about how much effort it takes to practice praying each day. It is work, but it is a blessing to spend an extending time talking with the Lord and listening to Him as we start the day. Remember, until we have prayed we can't really do anything else. Prayer is the work. Then, we follow God's direction to use us to bring the answer if that is what He wants. I pray that you will have a wonderful year of prayer in 2010.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 4-7.

Popular Posts