The Wagon Is Picking Up Steam

When I was pastor of Smith Bend Baptist Church in Central Texas, I knew a fine Methodist man named John Anderson. He and his wife came to our church on Sunday evenings, since their church did not have an evening service. I would often go to visit with him and his Baptist brother. One of John's sayings was, "The wagon goes faster down the hill than up the hill." I was only 22 years old then, so I could not relate to what he meant. He was using the wagon to say that the farther "over the hill" we get, the faster our lives fly. I can understand fully now. My wagon is flying down the hill now.

There is no question in my mind that 2009 passed more quickly than any year of my life so far. It was a wonderful year, but it has been a blur in many ways. We began the year with a blessed addition to our family when Jacob was born in February. Then, we received the news about Lori and Jeff completing Level Five in their language training, which is the biggest hurdle for them in their ministry to the Japanese people. We rejoiced with John and Gao Foua's ministry in Aliquippa, PA, which the Lord is blessing, and we are anticipating His further work there. Then, Lori and Jeff came with Kade and Avenly in June, so we enjoyed several months with them. My parents and Chris's mother are doing well, and we have enjoyed spending time with them. Our church family is a wonderful body of Christ, and we have seen the Lord's work there in many ways, too. I could go on and on, but I will stop. It has been a year of much activity, but even more a year of much fruit.

God has taught me several things as my wagon has picked up steam. It is even more important for me to learn to "number my days" and "redeem the time." I must make sure every moment counts. There is not time to be wasted. Also, I must stay ready to meet Jesus. It could be any time now. It will be a joy to see my Lord, but it will be a time for reflection about how I lived my life. I do not want to disappoint Him. Finally, I need to let people know how much I care for them as often as I can. I don't believe these things will slow down the wagon, but they will make the ride down the hill a lot more meaningful.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 1-3. I invite you to join me in a year-long journey through the Word of God.

Popular Posts