Walking With Jesus

My message this morning was on the life of Joseph. The main point was that each of us as believers need to be faithful to walk with Jesus every day, no matter what happens to us, good or bad. I struggle with how to make this vital truth come alive to people.

This past Friday I had my yearly physical exam. My PA is so good to take care of me. She is the one God used to show me I had prostate cancer several years ago. She always asks me about my running, and she gives me instructions when I leave. Each time I see her she reminds me to exercise for 50 minutes 4 or 5 days a week. I try to follow her instructions, because I believe the Lord wants me to have a healthy temple for the Holy Spirit. However, I am constantly challenged to discipline my schedule to include those times of physical exercise each week. Almost every week I get it done, but it is only by making it a priority. The result is that I feel better, I have more energy, and I am more useful to the Lord.

Now, what about having a daily walk with the Lord? If we need to spend 50 minutes in physical activity 4 or 5 days a week, what about spending 50 minutes with the Lord each day in spiritual activity? That is even more essential to good health and usefulness. It takes making it a priority, and believe me, you can do it. Just be honest with yourself and with the Lord. If you can walk 30 or 40 minutes a day for your health, you can spend 30 or 40 minutes a day in prayer and Bible reading. It is just that simple. All of it needs to be done in a love for the Lord, both the physical and the spiritual. He is Lord, and we owe our all to Him. We don't want to give Him second best of anything.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 9-11 and I Timothy 6.

Popular Posts