Persistence in Prayer

This evening at Prayer Meeting we had a study of Luke 11 and the story of the man who asks his friend for 3 loaves of bread, because a friend came unexpectedly late at night. It is clear that the meaning of the story is that God honors our prayers when we are persistent. The question was asked, "Why does God honor our prayers when we keep asking, seeking, and knocking? Is it because He gets tired of us asking like the man in the story? I don't think so. God likes for us to continue praying for a particular request, because it shows Him the condition of our heart in that matter. It shows we are serious about that need. It shows how much we care. It shows that we are ready for Him to answer. That is why He likes us to persist in prayer.

Therefore, I want to ask each of us a question. How many things are you praying for on a daily basis or on a weekly basis? Based on this Biblical story I would say we should have many things for which we pray for weeks, months, and even years. I prayed for my children to find the right person to marry from the time they were born until the day they married. I prayed that prayer almost every day, and I am still praying it daily for one of my children. I would recommend that type of persistence to all parents, because I have seen God answer that prayer. There are certain things I pray for my family members every day. I pray for all of the unbelievers that God has brought me to encounter recently at least once a week. I try to continue praying until they come to the Lord. There are many things for which we all need to pray consistently and faithfully until God sends His answer.

Tomorrow, Iintend to read Psalms 87-88 and Romans 13.

Popular Posts