Milk or Meat

This morning I gave a devotion for our North Henry Academy staff. I am doing that each morning this week, as they do their preparations for the new school year. It is a great privilege to have a good, Christian academy as a part of our church ministry. There are many people who benefit from this part of our church ministry.

I spoke to them from Hebrews 5:11-14. The Lord explains the difference between those people who just drink the milk of the Word of God and those who eat the meat of the Word. Those who simply drink the milk are like spiritual babies, and they are weak in their faith. However, those who progress to eating the meat of the Word are mature and strong believers. They are able to grow to spiritual maturity.

As I prepared for that devotion, and as I thought about it through the day, I realized just how many people never get to the meat. Many people remain spiritual babies all their lives. That is why they have so many challenges in life that they can't understand or handle. It takes maturity and strength to tackle the problems of life in this world. I know all of us would be much happier and more fulfilled in our lives, if we would graduate to solid spiritual food. We try to become mature in other ways. Why not strive for spiritual maturity, too?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 51-53 and Romans 2.

Popular Posts