Joy Comes From The Lord

Recently, I wrote that happiness is a by-product of doing right and helping others. I have experienced that often in my own life. However, there is something far greater than happiness. It is joy. Joy comes only from the Lord.

Real joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit working in our lives. The Spirit gives us a deep abiding contentment in our relationship with Christ that produces joy. Joy is not dependent on circumstances. It is there no matter what happens. It is the calm assurance that everything will be alright since we are held in His hands. When we have joy, we can smile even when it hurts.

Of course, I am not referring to a giddy, shallow emotion. I am speaking about a feeling that can only come from God. It comes with His strength to back it up. Nehemiah tells us that the joy of the Lord is our strength. That is one reason joy is so important for every person.

I feel compassion for anyone who has to endure the trials of life without the joy of the Lord. I have been there, so I know how it hurts. However, now that I am experiencing the joy of the Lord, I realize there is no better way to live in this world.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 54-56 and Romans 3.

Popular Posts