The Main Thing

Tuesday is my night for Upward basketball practice. Our team is the Bulldogs this year. We have a great group of seven boys from fourth grade to sixth grade. It is a difficult age in some ways, because they are not little any more, but they are not big either. They are getting more coordinated, and they can understand the strategy better than in their younger years. So I try to teach them the proper way to do a lay-up and a set shot. I instruct them on how to dribble and pass. Tonight, I showed them again how to set a pick. We had a great time learning basketball, but that is not the main thing.

Each week we do a devotional in the middle of our hour of practice. This week was the time to share the Gospel with the boys. Six of the seven were there, and they sat quietly as I spoke to them. I had a sense that they really understood the gravity of what I was saying about sin and being saved by Jesus. Then, after giving an object lesson, I asked them if any of them would like to ask Jesus to be their Savior and Lord. Three boys gladly raised their hands, so we prayed, and they expressed their repentance from sin, their trust in Jesus who died and rose again for them, and their confession of Him as Lord of their lives. The angels rejoiced, and I told them to tell their parents and the folks at church. I finished by explaining the need to grow i the Lord and giving them an Upward tract to go over with their parents. That is the main thing, and the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing all of the time.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 1-3 and Matthew 14:1-21.

Popular Posts