Acting Our Way to a New Way of Thinking

As I mentioned before, I have been reading a book by Alan Hirsch called "The Forgotten Ways." My son, John, told me about the book and the author after he met Alan Hirsch at a missional church conference. I have not been able to finish the book yet, but I am determined to get done in the next week or two. I would recommend it to anyone serious about doing God's will. He is very Biblical, and he explains why our churches in the USA are having so much trouble fulfilling the Great Commission these days.

One of his basic principles on discipleship is that we need to return to a Hebrew style of discipleship, instead of the present style which is based on Greek philosophy. Our present way of making disciples is to teach them facts in a classroom setting. The purpose is to change their thinking, so that they will decide to change their actions. This does not work very often. How many times have you started a diet? You had a lot of information, and you wanted to change your eating habits, but you never really changed. What happened? It is very difficult to think your way into a new way of acting. Think about witnessing. How many courses have you taken to learn how to share the Gospel. How are you doing? Chances are you know several ways to share the Gospel, but you seldom or never put them into action. Do you see what I mean?

The Hebrew way of discipleship is what Jesus used on His disciples. He lived with them, and they went with Him while He taught and healed people. Then, He sent them out, even before they had learned very many facts. He told them to tell others what they knew. They learned by doing. Alan Hirsch says it is like being thrown into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim. It works because when we change our actions, we have to begin to think differently. Again, I refer to the idea of going on a diet. Several times in my life I started eating less, even though I did not have a great plan, and I did not really feel like a diet. After a day or two of eating right, I was sold on it, and I could keep it up. My actions had helped to change my thinking. The same is true for witnessing. If I set up times to share the Gospel, and I do it, then, I am excited about doing it more and more. I am ready to learn new ways, too.

Therefore, I would urge all of us to rearrange our daily schedules to include those things we know the Lord wants us to do like having an "unhurried time", studying His Word, and witnessing. Then, let's learn on the job while being obedient and see how it changes our thinking. I believe we will see a dramatic change, because we will have the ultimate encouragement from the Holy Spirit.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 4-6 and Matthew 14:22-36.

Popular Posts