Poor, but Rich in Faith

My memory verse for today was James 2:5. It is a very forgotten truth in the USA. In fact, I am sure we could have a lot of good discussions around the meaning of this one verse, because of our materialism in America and the way people idolize the rich in America. Both of those things are foreign to Jesus and Christianity.

James reminded the churches of his day, and he reminds us today that God has chosen the poor to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom. Think about all of the folks you know who are very strong believers. Yes, there are some who are wealthy, but the majority are not. Could it be that riches get in the way of faith in God? That is the truth from the rich young ruler and Jesus. Could it be that poverty leads a person to Jesus even more, because they have few choices? That may not be true, but I know poverty brings simplicity to life, so we can really focus on faith and the other things that are really important.

I hope I can learn from this verse, because I know that faith is blessed by God. I want to see God work in the lives of people, whether they are rich or poor. The key is not to trust in riches, but to trust the Lord completely.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 16-17 and James 3.

Popular Posts