The Drawbacks of Being a Pastor

In some ways being a pastor is fantastic. I only have to work a day and a half a week. (That's an old joke. I am not serious.) I get to work with a lot of wonderful people, my brothers and sisters in Christ. I don't have to drive a long way to the office in traffic. I get to do all kinds of things, so I never have a boring day. I get to help people all the time. It is my job to pray and study the Bible. What a great job, huh?

Well there are some drawbacks that people don't think about. The administrative duties take up so much time that it is difficult to spend as much time with people as I would like to. I love visiting folks who have needs and trying to minister to them, and it hurts me when I don't have time for that type of ministry. However, the main thing is that I don't get to be around non-Christian people unless I make an appointment with them. It is even hard to do that most of the time. It is a real unusual situation for a non-Christian to want to be around a preacher. That part of being a pastor breaks my heart. In fact, lately, I have been asking God to show me how I can have meaningful relationships with non-Christians, so I can show them the love of the Lord for them. Please, pray for me in this area. There are so many hurting people who need the grace of God to heal their lives. I want to be a part of that process more and more.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Samuel 6-8 and Luke 15:1-10.

Popular Posts