The Church Depending on Jesus

Like I said before, I am reading some books about church written by younger guys with some unique perspectives. It is a very good exercise for me, because it gets me to think, even if I disagree with something they say. However, I believe it is helping me to evaluate the church as we know it today.

If you had to define the church, what would you say? I know the textbook definitions and the general ways to describe the church, but what is it really? One of the books says that we must not define the church without Jesus being at the center. He is not just our Savior. He is the Head of the body, the church. Therefore, what can we do without the Head? We can only do our own will, not His. How can we have the power to do God's will without Him? We can't do anything without Him. (John 15:5) I am afraid we try to do many things without Him. In fact, we don't truly depend on Him totally for very much of what we do. We just ask Him to bless what we are going to do. That is very sad.

I wonder what the difference would be if we started doing only what He told us to do each day and each time we meet? I wonder how the results would change if we depended fully on Him all the time? I think it would be a radical change. Why don't we try it?

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Samuel 3-5 and Luke 14:25-35.

Popular Posts