The Culture of Convenience

The culture of the United States today focuses on convenience. We want to do things the easiest, most convenient way possible. No longer do advertisers tell us what a product does. They tell us how their product does the job better or more quickly. I am afraid that philosophy has carried over to issues of life and death, too. If it is more convenient for them, many Americans will choose to end the life of their unborn child. If the baby might cause them some pain or discomfort, they choose the option of murder for their convenience. It is terrible to think that a culture founded on Christian values has sunk to this low, but it has.

A few months ago I was asked to serve on the board for the local Pregnancy Resource Center. I was very busy, and I had told myself that I could not add new responsibilities to my schedule, but how could I decline. What ministry is more needed today than a ministry that saves innocent lives and spreads the Gospel at the same time? If I was going to fulfill what I have been preaching about being a positive influence on this world, I had to accept. I am glad I did. We had our regular meeting tonight, and I was reminded of how much there is to do, both for young ladies and young men. Our culture has let them down, so someone must teach them and mentor them to know how to live and to preserve life.

I want to encourage you to pray for the Pregnancy Resource Center, the staff, the volunteers, and the whole ministry. Consider how you can be a part of saving lives with your time or money. What you do could contribute to seeing a life saved or a soul saved. That is a tremendous contribution to make to our culture of convenience, even if it is inconvenient for you.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 34-36 and Mark 9:30-50.

Popular Posts