The Lord's Supper

When I was a child and a teenager, the Lord's Supper was not very important to me. It was something done at the end of the worship service, and I did not really understand the significance of it. It was not until I read what the Bible says in I Corinthians 11 and I had Dr. Jack McGorman in seminary that I really had a clear picture of what it meant. Since then, it has been one of my most meaningful ways to worship the Lord.

As Baptists, we do not want things to become rituals. That is why I don't understand why my home church would just tack on the Lord's Supper at the end of a service once a month. The result of that was to make it too much like a ritual. I love to make it the focus of the whole service and to spend some quiet time before the Lord. Baptists really don't like quiet either, so I am sure the way I do it is hard for some folks. However, it is meant to be a reflection on the historical event of the Cross, a consideration of our present spiritual state, and a looking forward to the future, when we will see the Risen Christ. What could be more meaningful? What could be more helpful for us to do on a regular basis?

We will have the Lord's Supper tomorrow at NHBC. I will spend some time this evening preparing my heart. I hope all of our church family will do the same thing. It is quite a serious matter. Jesus died to free us from sin, so to participate with known sin in our hearts is an affront to God. However, to stand before Him clean and to behold His love is glorious.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 31-33 and Matthew 22:1-22.

Popular Posts