God's Love and Our Weaknesses - II Chronicles 17-18 and John 13:1-20

It is amazing to me that God knows me completely, but He still loves me. He loves me in spite of my weaknesses. He does not overlook my weaknesses. He still wants me to grow stronger in Him. However, He loves me anyway. That is the wonderful love of God.

God knew that Jehoshaphat loved Him and was loyal to Him. He went farther than the other faithful kings in Judah in that he removed the high places where people worshiped idols, and he sent leaders to teach the people God's Word. However, Jehoshaphat had his weaknesses. He made a marriage alliance with the evil king Ahab of Israel, and he even agreed to go to battle with him after the true prophet, Micaiah, had warned them that Israel would lose the battle, and Ahab would be killed. What caused him to do that? I am not sure why he did those things. Maybe, he was too trusting of people, or he was too optimistic, thinking Ahab would change. Whatever the reason, Jehoshaphat had a weakness that led him to miss God's will and sin. We all have those kinds of weaknesses, and Satan uses them to tempt us. In the process, God loves us, and He tries to lead us to trust Him, even in our areas of weakness.

In John 13 we read about Jesus washing the feet of the disciples like a menial slave. Why did He do that? I believe that Jesus knew that pride was a weakness of a lot of people, even His disciples. He wanted to show His love for them, and He wanted them to love each other, putting aside the weakness of pride. He stooped to wash Judas' feet that day, too. Jesus loved the one who betrayed Him. I believe, He gave him every opportunity to overcome his weaknesses and trust Christ as Savior and Lord, but he did not. I believe that broke Jesus' heart. He loved the rest of the disciples knowing they would desert him at the Cross. He knew the fear of Peter and the others, but He loved them anyway. He did not excuse their weakness. He wanted them to grow to overcome them, which they did in many ways.

What weaknesses do you have? Do you know that Jesus still loves you? Do you know He wants to help you overcome your weaknesses? I pray that each of us sees that we have a Loving Savior, who loves us as we are, but He wants us to get better and become like Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicles 19-20 and John 13:21-38.

Popular Posts