August 9, 2006 - Psalms 77-78 and Romans 10

In Psalm 77 the psalmist is wondering how long it will be until God blesses His people again. He is not questioning God's judgment, but he is wondering how long it will be until he sees the miracles of God and until he sees God's care for His people renewed. He is very concerned because of the sad spiritual condition of Israel. I can relate to this because this morning after my unhurried time I went to run near Lori and Jeff's home, but I got lost at the end. I had to wait for Jeff to find me. I was wondering how long it would take. I knew he would find me, because he loves me. God will always restore His people after their time of punishment, but sometimes we have to wonder how long we will have to be lost in our spiritually dry state.

In Psalm 78 we read about the history of Israel, because the psalmist is teaching everyone how important it is to pass on the truth of God' s Word to the next generation. If they don't know what God has done in the past they may not trust Him as Lord. How are we doing as parents and as a church in passing on God's truth to our children. It is a very important job with eternal consequences.

Romans 10 is so important. Notice how much of this chapter talks about putting faith in God and His Word to us. If God's choice was all that matters in salvation, then Romans 10 is not necessary. Why pray for Israel if it will not do any good? The answer is simple. It does matter, because salvation is by grace through faith. God does not give us the faith, but we have to exercise faith in Him, before He saves us by His power.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 79-80 and Romans 11:1-18.

Popular Posts