The Year of the Heart

At the end of each year I pray about God's direction for our church for the next year. Often, I decide on a theme or an emphasis. Sometimes, I come up with a simple statement of the theme so folks can remember it. This year what God said was so simple we don't need a phrase or a sentence. It is to be the year of the heart. God is showing me that everything comes back to the condition of our heart.

I know this seems a bit simplistic, but let me explain. I met Chris on December 30, 1972 as an answer to a prayer I prayed about two weeks before that day. Soon, it was clear that I had found a very special person, and then God showed me that she was the one for me forever. We were married on August 18, 1974. I had finished one year of college at Baylor, and I was making $45 per week as a part-time Youth and Music Director at a small church. My parents paid for my college expenses, but we covered the rest. Now, it has been 35 years of challenges in our relationship and in our lives. We have made it just fine because of the condition of our hearts. First of all, our hearts have been set on the Lord, instead of other things. Secondly, we have continued in our "first love" which keeps growing with every year that passes. If I told you of some of the difficulties we have faced, it would curl your hair. We did what we had to do, and we prospered in it all, because we loved the Lord with all of our hearts and we loved each other sincerely. Nothing else would have succeeded.

Now, transfer that truth to the church. How does a church succeed? I believe with all of my heart that it comes from a group of people who love the Lord supremely, and they love others as Jesus loves us. That only happens when people have hearts that are right with God and set on loving Him. You see, the highest motivation for serving the Lord is love. Any other reason fizzles out after a while, just like many marriages fizzle out. However, when an individual or a group of individuals are motivated by love, there is no limit to there obedient service for the Lord. There is not limit to their excitement about that service. It is contagious to others. God is able to use people with hearts that are set on Him.

However, when there is a heart problem, there is an obedience problem. There is a lack of enthusiasm. Service becomes drudgery like a bad marriage. God sees our reason for serving, and if it doesn't come from love for Him and for others, He can't bless it. Therefore, we must repent of leaving our first love and get back to Him.(Revelation 2:1-5)

We have a wonderful church family. I love being the pastor of such caring people. However, I want our church to grow and to progress in the Great Commission as well as the Great Commandment. Therefore, I am compelled to follow the Lord's leadership and make this the year of the heart. I believe it will lead to a revival of God's people and the salvation of those who are lost. Let's all make this the year we make sure our hearts are fully in love with Jesus and other people.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 41-43.

Popular Posts