God's Goodness and Love

As I drove back from Texas, I had plenty of time to listen to the radio. I heard a lot about the dire situation in Haiti on both secular and Christian stations. It was interesting to hear what they had to say. Some were very appalled at the devastation. Others were wondering how to alleviate the suffering in such a poor country. They had no real answers. They simple repeated the fact of how much destruction and death there was in this small country because of an earthquake.

I did not specifically hear it, but I am sure there are some people asking, "Where is God in this disaster?" "How can He be a loving God and allow something like this?" I don't have time here to discuss all of the details about my theology of pain and suffering. I have written about that before in this blog. However, I do want to say that once a disaster happens we tend to forget the many blessings of God that we receive all of the time. We focus on the terrible pain, instead of seeing God at work every day.

They said that most people in Haiti live on less than one dollar a day. That is amazing! How can they do that? I would say that it has a lot to do with the goodness and love of God. He takes care of even the ones who reject Him. He blesses them with food and shelter, even if it is not fancy. He gives them life and the ability to make a life. From what I have heard there are thousands of Christians who go to Haiti each year. They build houses and churches. They share the gospel. I am sure they give money to people for support. They reach out as God's arms and feet in the midst of a very corrupt government, and they help to care for people whose own government doesn't care. That is how God does things. He sends His children to minister and to bring His hope.

I pray that Christians will flood into Haiti and feed people and bind up their wounds. I pray that at the same time they will share the love of God who would prepare a place in Heaven for each of them. Then, even if they lived in Hell on earth, they can join Him in Heaven for eternity.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 5-7.

Popular Posts