Starting Over in Life

I received a phone call this evening from one of the men to whom I had been ministering at the Henry County jail. I was expecting to hear from him soon. He is being released from the state prison system to spend one year in a drug rehab community in Stockbridge. Over the past year he has told me several times that he wanted to go to the rehab, because he is tired of his life, and he wants to begin a whole new life. At this point it will be like starting over in life. I believe he is a changed man through the power of Christ, and I believe with Christ's help he can experience a whole new life.

He is being released from the prison, and another one of his friends will have to drive several hours to go pick him up. He is coming to a new place to live. He doesn't even know if he has any clothes at the family home. He has Jesus and a few Christian friends. I assured him that we would help him get the clothes and the other things he needs. He has to get a job and build a life doing things God's way, being responsible. I could hear a little apprehensiveness in his voice, but at the same time there was a strong dose of hope. His first thoughts were not even for himself, but for his sister who is very disabled because of a brain aneurysm. He asked if he could see her when he got up here, and I told him we could work that out, too.

As I have told you before, I believe each person is precious to God. Shane has had a very difficult life. Some of it was his fault, and other things were beyond his control. I know that Jesus is in Heaven praying for him, and Jesus has brought me into his life to mentor him and to help him over the hump. I pray that in the months and years to come I can write to you about his new beginnings. Please, pray for Shane and for me, as I follow the Lord's leadership in how to help him have a new life that is pleasing to God and satisfying for him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 35-37.

Popular Posts