God's Providential Care

I made the long drive to Texas one more time today. It would be interesting to count up all of the times I have driven it. I know for 18 years I made that trip at least twice a year, so I have probably made it back and forth 40 times over the past 36 years. I enjoy driving, but it can be very tiring at times. Today was a good trip. Only the last hour and a half was more difficult because of some rain. I thank the Lord for bringing me safely through the 875 miles and for nothing going wrong with the trailer or the truck. He is so good!

The thought that comes to me when I think of all of the perils of that long journey is how God watches over His children. He sees ahead what might happen, and He sends His angels to protect and to provide. Just like the verse I shared this morning about God sending Joseph to Egypt to provide for Jacob's family in the famine. God sees and knows it all, and His love is so amazing. I can't help but wonder how many angels He sent to guard me and the vehicle while I was going through the rain and the darkness. Then, when I think of all of the other trips, it multiplies my appreciation of how He cares for us.

Once when Chris was expecting Lori, we ran into ice and slid off the road. We were buried up to the bottom of the car in the median of the highway. Suddenly, a pickup truck drove up, hooked up a chain, and pulled us out with ease. When I turned around he was gone, even though I could see a long way in each direction. I believe that was one of God's angels, because it would have been impossible to pull us out on an icy road with a pickup that was not 4 wheel drive. It was a wonderful miracle. Then, God took us all the way home on the ice. It took 5 hours to go 100 miles, but we made it just fine.

I hope each of us will thank God for His providential care today and every day.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 47-50.

Popular Posts