Bodily Training and Godliness

I believe in bodily training. I walk fast for 3.2 miles 5 days a week for my aerobic workout, and I do a pretty good workout of my core 3 times each week. After all, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, so we need to take care of them. Also, I have more energy and stamina to do God's will when I keep up my bodily training. However, having said that I believe even more in godliness. There is no doubt that godliness is of value in every area of life, for this present life and the life to come, too. (I Timothy 4:8) We should all make godliness a priority.

Godliness is taking on the character of Jesus, so that we live every day as Jesus would live, think as He thinks, and feel as He feels. The goal of God for every believer is that we become like Jesus. (Romans 8:29) God knows that when we achieve godliness, we will have the best life possible, so that is His desire and His goal for us. If we put anything else first in our lives, we are cheating ourselves. We can still take time for bodily training, fun, and relaxation, but they must be subservient to the pursuit of godliness. We must be consistent in that pursuit every day, so we reach the goal as soon as possible, for the glory of the Lord.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Timothy 5-6 and II Timothy 1.

Popular Posts