The Door of the Heart

Symbolic language is the way we try to get across spiritual and philosophical truths. Some of the most meaningful stories contain powerful symbols, so that we can express concepts that concrete words fail to explain. The Bible is literally true, but at the same time, it contains symbolic language in places. Revelations 3:20 is one of those places that is dear to my heart. Bro. Arwood was led to use that word picture the day I finally trusted Christ as my Lord and Savior.

I don't remember the rest of the message that day, but I definitely recall the conclusion. Bro. Arwood tapped on the wooden pulpit to simulate knocking on a door. He assured the entire congregation that Christ was knocking to see who would let Him come into their lives as Lord. I did not know about everyone else, but I knew He was knocking on my heart's door. He wanted to be my Lord, and He was drawing me to give my life to Him, so we could dine together, we could have an eternal love relationship. At that moment I said yes, and I knew that He had been faithful to His promise. When I entrusted my life to Him, He came into my life to stay. It has been that way ever since. In fact, the fellowship gets better and better.

The best thing a person can ever do in this life is to respond to Jesus' knock with a heart of faith. Once He is Lord of your life, you will never be the same.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Revelation 7-10

Popular Posts