Impetuosity

All of my life I have been trying to learn to improve my weaknesses and to enhance my strengths. I have made some progress over the years, but I still have weaknesses that get the best of me at times. Now, I am not talking about things that are immoral, unethical, or illegal. I am talking about being dumb and doing things which I should know better than to do them.

One of my faults is to be impetuous. My impetuosity gets me into trouble when I do not calm down and let the Lord help me to control it. What is impetuosity, you may ask? Here is a dictionary definition of what it means to be impetuous:
im·pet·u·ous/imˈpeCHo͞oəs/Adjective
1. Acting or done quickly and without thought or care; impulsive.
2. Moving forcefully or rapidly: "an impetuous flow of water". More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Today, I did a very impetuous thing with my computer. I was trying to do a good thing, but I did not think. I acted too rapidly, because I wanted to get it done without waiting, and I messed up. Then, I had that sick feeling in my stomach that I always get when I am impetuous, and I do something really dumb.

I am glad to say that it happens less frequently now, but it still happens. Then, I had to stop and ask the Lord to help me. In fact, I asked for forgiveness and for His help. The problem is that I should have stopped before I did it, and things would have gone much better.

The good thing is that God loves me, even though I am impetuous. He is still working on me, like the children's song says. He took just 6 days to make the universe, but He has been working on me for 56 years now. I appreciate His patient love and guidance, and I look forward to the day when I will be freed from my weaknesses in heaven.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 10-12.

Popular Posts