Another Chance in Life

There are so many people whose lives have been destroyed by using illegal drugs, as well as mis-using prescription drugs. It is a terrible scourge in our country and in many countries around the world. I believe it is a tool of Satan to appeal to the flesh in an effort to drag a person down, even to Hell. My heart goes out to these people who have an addiction of one kind or another. I pray for them to experience God's deliverance both spiritually and physically.

Today, I had the privilege of helping a friend, who just got out of prison. Some of you may have prayed for him, because I have mentioned him in this blog. His life has been radically effected by his own drug use and the drug use of family members. Now, he gets a chance to start over in life. He is determined to allow the Lord to help him break the cycle of addiction. He needs to learn to live with the stresses of everyday life and overcome the desire to escape through the drugs or alcohol. That is what he will be doing for the next year.

When I took him to the place he will be living and met some of the other men in the same boat, it brought back a distant memory. When I was at Avondale High School, I was on the newspaper staff one year. During that time I visited a drug rehab with some other students, and we spoke to the young people there for a while. They shared the stresses and fears of their lives, and they expressed their hopes to stay away from the drugs. I saw in their faces the uncertainty, though. I wrote a story about our visit for the newspaper, so that I could help other people stay away from this destructive force. I had some of the same feelings today. I am not going to just be praying for my friends, but for all of the men there, that they can take this chance for a new life and make the most of it with the help of Jesus, who is Life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 20-23.

Popular Posts