Materialism and Christianity

I believe one of the reasons why Christianity is struggling in the United States is our focus on materialism. I am not sure of a classical definition of materialism, so let me give you my definition. What I mean by materialism is a philosophy of life that puts material things before spiritual life. It is a desire to have meaning in life through our experience of having material possessions. Some people today refer to it as consumerism. It is the desire to purchase anything we think will bring us happiness. This is a destructive worldview.

Now, for myself I do not mean to say that materialism is capitalism. They are not the same. The early settlers in America were capitalists, but they were not materialistic or consumeristic. They wanted the freedom to work hard and make money, but they had the spiritual values to see the use of money and to know that they could not buy happiness. That is the main difference from our day and time. Now, we have capitalism without values, and that leads to materialism and consumerism.

Jesus made it plain that a person can not serve God and money. I John 2:15 tells us plainly that we are not to love the world or the things of the world. If we love the world, the love of the Father is not in us. I know that is a strict statement, but I know it is true. It is God's Word, and I have seen it proven in my life experiences. Once a person begins to love the world or the things of the world, that person ceases to love the Lord fully and begins to drift away. Materialism and Christianity are not compatible in a person's life or in a society. We must show people that the meaning of life comes from the spiritual life that comes only through knowing Jesus Christ. He is the only way to have real satisfaction in life. It does not come from material things.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 47-48 and I John 3.

Popular Posts