Please, Add Some Salt

I realized something about 30 years ago, and I have found that it has held true for all of these years. When I was pastor at Smith Bend, the Lord showed me that most people who don't go to church have made the decision not to attend because of something that a church member said to them, or the way they treated them, or both. It broke my heart then, and it breaks my heart now. Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that most people who don't want to be Christians have come to that conclusion for the same reason. Therefore, most people end up going to hell or missing out on the Body of Christ, because of rejecting Christians, not because of rejecting Jesus. Jesus and the church don't even get considered seriously because of Christians. I believe that is a terrible indictment, since we are supposed to be the ones who are attracting people to Jesus and the church by what we say and what we do.

The admonition of Colossians 4:6 is very important for all of us, as Christians. God tells us through Paul, who had probably seen what I have seen, that we must let our speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt. I think the same could be said for our actions, too, by the way. We must always make sure that we give people grace, which is a gift of respect and forgiveness. Think about God's grace to us. He could have treated us as trash, because we were sinners, but He treated us as people of worth. Also, He was quick to offer forgiveness. Yes, He condemns sin, but He died to provide forgiveness. I would say that is going the extra mile to be forgiving. Then, He tells us to season our speech with salt. You know what salt is for. It is to make the food taste better and go down easier. When we speak, we must think of how we can word our message so it is easier for the other person to receive, instead of being harsh.

Now, I know that not being able to tame the tongue by God's power is a sign of great spiritual immaturity, but I also, believe that it should be unthinkable that we should harm another person with our words. It is totally unnecessary and selfish. The only possible reason for harsh words is to get something off of our chest or to hurt another person. Both of those things are selfish. Whenever, we find that we have sinned in this area, we should go to the person and make it right without delay, or else we could stand guilty of causing that person to miss God's will or even to miss Heaven. I really believe that. I know that they are responsible for their sin between them and God. However, if it matters if we tell them the Gospel so they can come to Christ, and if we fail we have contributed to them being lost forever, then, the same follows for harming them with our words. I believe God will hold us responsible.

I have had to speak to many people about many things. People who have hated me and wanted to fire me. I have dealt with people who were very angry with me or with others. I have had to speak to people about grievous sins, which they have committed. However, I believe God has given me the grace to add a little salt to my speech and to treat them with grace almost all of the time. For the other times I have sought forgiveness and reconciliation, because I would never want my words to be the reason someone is driven from the Lord or His church.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 19-21 and John 8:1-27.

Popular Posts